Feb 1, 2008

Waitress

I hope everyone is having a great time watching movies. I love movies. I'll watch just about anything. To prove it to you, I watched and reviewed Waitress. I usually stick to action movies and horror movies and thrillers. Waitress doesn't fit in any of those categories. I didn't even watch it with a girl or with my mom. I made a sacrifice for you.

I’ve had this movie sitting on my coffee table for almost two months. I watched it last night. It’s about small town life, pies, waitresses, infidelity, and babies. Felicity is in it. She’s a waitress (hence the title of the movie) and a master pie maker. Keri Russell probably hates it when people still refer to her as Felicity. One of my favorite B-movie actors turned Law and Order superstar Jeremy Sisto is in it. He plays the typical small town abusive husband. That dude from Firefly and Slither plays the town doctor/love interest of Felicity. He is known IRL as Nathan Fillion. This movie has a lot of parts that are supposed to be cute and/or funny. Like when Felicity names her pies things like “I Hate My Husband Pie” or “Bad Baby Pie” or “I Just Took A Dump In Your Pie Pie” or “Shut Your Fuckin’ Pie-Hole Pie”, etc. I made up those last two. The director/writer of the film, Adrienne Shelly, also plays the role of Dawn, one of the waitresses. See, there’s not just one waitress (as the title suggests), there are three. Dawn is the lovelorn, shy, low self-esteem character. She’s pretty cool. Cheryl Hines (Curb Your Enthusiasm) plays the third waitress. She’s the witty, older sister type. There isn’t a lot of action in this movie, no big fights or shootouts. No dismemberments and no axes to the chest. No arterial blood spray. I don’t remember seeing any guns or grenades in it, either. There is some face slapping, which makes me uncomfortable. But that scene persuades you hate one of the characters that you’re supposed to hate so you won’t feel bad when the other character does what she does. Infidelity. I usually hate movies with infidelity because infidelity pisses me off. I can’t get one girl to like me, let alone two at the same time. The infidelity in this movie didn’t piss me off as much as it does in other films, though. I’m not sure why. I must be getting cynical. However, I did want to punch Nathan Fillion’s character in the face at the end of the movie. Maybe you’ll want to as well.

PS: Adrienne Shelly was murdered shortly before the release of the film. Her writing and directing talent will be missed.

2 comments:

Native Minnow said...

I liked this movie. I saw it with [Anomalie]. I expected there to be a blood filled pie at some point. Mainly the part where the guy came over to her house to learn how to bake. I thought for sure her husband would come home and kill them both. Or maybe that's just what I wanted to happen. I have a sick mind.

silentkid said...

I liked it, too. It wasn't what I would consider great, but I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. A blood-filled pie would have been a nice touch. Or a baby's eyeball pie.