Apr 23, 2008

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead is the most recent movie from famed octogenarian filmmaker, Sidney Lumet. He’s directed some classics like Network and Dog Day Afternoon. He’s also directed a bunch of movies I haven’t seen, nor really care to see. I like to watch movies that have either the word devil (Oh, God! You Devil) or the word dead (House of the Dead) in their titles. This one has both.

BTDKYD (you’re supposed to abbreviate long movie titles with awkward acronyms) stars Ethan Hawk and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The play brothers (Hank and Andy) who have problems like heroin addiction, infidelity, spastic behavior, needing money, etc. Stuff we’ve seen before. Their dad (Albert Finney) is a grumpy old man who always favored Hank over Andy when they were growing up. This becomes an important plot element, along with the heroin addiction, infidelity, spastic behavior, lack of money, etc. A robbery goes wrong and it affects a lot of people, leading to much crying and yelling and death. This movie is okay--a watch-it-one-night-when-it's-free-on-cable-and-you-have-some-vicodin-handy type of film. I really like both lead actors, but feel they have been better in other films like Training Day and that movie where Hoffman huffs gasoline. Just kidding about the PSH one. He’s really good in Magnolia and The Big Lebowski and that new movie I haven’t seen where he plays a CIA guy opposite Tom Hanks. I probably won’t watch that movie because I hate Julia Roberts’ fake southern accent. It makes me sleepy. He's not as creepy as he is in Happiness but you do have to endure viewing his pasty ass during a doggy-style humping scene. I have a few questions about BTDKYDMFer (Spoiler Warning):

1. Does everybody own a handgun except me?

2. Why are Marisa Tomei’s breasts so perfect?

3. Do hospitals still use those sticky chest sensors to detect heart-rate? I thought they had all switched to that finger-clamp thingy.

4. Should I sleep with my brother’s wife?

5. Does smothering someone with a pillow really work?

4 comments:

Native Minnow said...

RE: Marisa Tomei's breasts. I don't know why they're perfect, but I'm glad they are. After watching this movie I immediately changed the 'Who I'd Like To Meet' section on my myspace page to include 'Marisa Tomei's Breasts' and I'm not even joking.

Anonymous said...

Gimme some whalemeat, Phil Hoffman

floatingboy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
floatingboy said...

you know, i like to act like i'm above gratuitous sex and nudity, but i have to say that they should've made the whole movie about marisa tomei being naked. (¡ay ay ay!) i actually saw this movie on the first date with my now ex-girlfriend. if a relationship can last six months after seeing PSH's bloated whale body convulsing and seizing over a perfectly tanned doggy-style marisa tomei (IN THE OPENING SCENE), then you probably met a pretty cool girl.

i think my favorite aspect of the movie is the unsolved mystery-style captions that tell you the date and time. otherwise we poor viewers would be too terribly confused with the jumps in time. especially since they're combined with those crazy, seizure-inducing, run lola run-style scene transitions.